Everyone has gone through a period where life feels out of control and imbalanced. It can be like floating in an ocean praying someone throws you a life preserver. The question is, how can you achieve a balance in these hectic times?
Understanding what balance truly means is the first step toward creating a balanced lifestyle. Life balance doesn’t have to involve giving equal amounts of time or attention to each part of your life. Let’s squash this myth!
I’m sure you’ve seen a juggler effortlessly keeping 3, 4, 5, and more balls in the air. The way he does this is by applying his energy exactly where it’s needed at precisely the right time. Here is some good news. It’s easier than it looks.
Life balance is about knowing when to give a little more effort, when it’s time to call it quits, and when everything feels just right.
These six tips will help you strike a better balance in life:
1. Make time for you. Realize that you’re relevant and valuable. Taking care of your happiness (and sanity) is an essential part of creating a balanced life. Even if for just two hours each week, put everyone else’s needs aside, and focus on you!
* This relaxation will vary for different people. If you are an extrovert, you’ll want to have a party or go out to a local event. Surround yourself with interesting people. You’ll recharge in no time. If you are an introvert, then get a great book, go for a solitary hike, take a bath, or some other activity where you can be alone with your thoughts. A couple of hours alone, and you’ll be ready to tackle those other areas of life.
2. Strive for a healthy lifestyle. Both exercise and a conscious diet are necessary to remain healthy and happy. Be sure to exercise DAILY. Your workout can be anything under the sun, as long as it keeps you active.
* If eating healthy is a challenge, avoid bringing unhealthy food into your home. You can’t be tempted if it isn’t around the house. Not only will it keep your heart healthy and your waistline under control, but it’ll also promote healthy eating habits in your children.
3. Leave work in the office. There’s a reason you have a work schedule: your employer is only willing to pay you for a specific amount of time each day. Do your family a favor and leave work at work. Avoid overworking yourself if there isn’t a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.
* A great way I find to leave the office at the office is by having a daily wrap up routine. I take half an hour at the end of each day to plan out the next. I also jot down lessons I learned and any ideas I’d like to implement. By using this ritual, I can let go of thinking of all the stuff I need to get done because its already planned.
4. Make time for love. Find out how your spouse feels loved. Do they like receiving a gift? Is it a special touch, or a kind word. We all have a key that unlocks our hearts. If you both have each other’s key, you’ll never be locked out of love.
* Simply watching TV together isn’t enough. Send the kids over to grandma’s house for a weekend and plan a romantic getaway. If you’re on a budget, plan a romantic camping trip. Nothing says romance like 2-days in the wild.
5. Live within your means. If your finances are causing you stress, it’s time to reassess your budget. Make budget cuts to proactively work towards achieving your financial goals.
* Eliminate obvious splurges, such as cable television upgrades and pricey cell phone plans. Turn your hobby into a business (that’s what I did).
6. Socialize. Even if you’re an introvert, hanging out with friends allows you to unwind and have a few laughs. Make it a point to meet up with friends at least once each month. Go out to dinner or host a get together in your home.
Leading an unbalanced lifestyle is one of the leading causes of stress for professionals. The inability to cope with stress can cause numerous health problems, such as weight gain, migraines, and even heart complications. Fortunately, you can be the exception. You can ward off health problems by nipping stress in the bud.
You are now empowered, equipped, and ready to create balance in your life! Practice these strategies each day and, one day soon, you’ll feel the harmony of a balanced life.
And if you have specific emotional issues holding you back, give me a call. I guarantee with my therapy; we can clear the problems rapidly and more effortlessly than you have ever thought possible. Get relief from feelings of Anxiety, Depression, Lack of Focus, and past limiting beliefs.